11.25.2009

Mom Once More

A couple of weeks ago, I auditioned for a big-name client and a commercial that had real promise.  Unfortunately I didn't get the job, which may have been the result of a combination of factors: I had been told to prepare a character I wasn't auditioning for; I was told the lines were improvisatory when there were lines to memorize; We were made to audition with nine other people in the room, all of whom were auditioning for the same role.  You know, factors.  Despite these it seems the client may have liked me anyway, as I was invited to audition again, but for a different spot.

So, earlier this week I prepared my best "mom look" as requested and arrived to find multiple small children milling about with parents in tow.  Oh, so we're to be paired with a child, I thought.  Given my past experience with children at this particular locale, I had very low expectations.  To my surprise, the "moms" were quickly rounded up and invited into the audition room with a small herd of six-year-olds.  There were two little girls whose colorings were similar to mine and, not surprisingly, we were paired up.  Since we had been provided no information in advance regarding the premise of the spot--no storyboard, no summary--we were all effectively in the same boat and victim privy to the same information provided at the last minute, which told me the content of the commercial was highly prized by the ad agency.

This experience turned out to be another of those random auditions where I left having no clue how I did.  Again, I was performing an undefined, mundane task with "my child", during which the child should react to something seen off-camera.  As "mom", I am to respond appropriately.  (In this case, the off-camera event was a casting associate saying, "Boo!")  I did my best to react appropriately as a mom and still cater to my understanding of the scene.  What is the commercial advertising?  I don't know.  How did I do?  I couldn't tell you.  There will be callbacks, though, and I am hoping they call me.

3 comments:

Rhea said...

Fascinating. It's cool to hear what it's like to be an actor, the day-to-day stuff. Love your blog.

Alecia said...

Thanks for reading, Rhea!

drdsdds said...

I have a couple children I can loan you. They have been fully trained in the art of driving their mother crazy. It might be good practice for you.