7.07.2009

Know how to hold it.

Spending as much in Austin as I have and following closely the travails through the Texas Hill Country of now-defunct Team US Postal-cum-Team Discovery Channel as led by Lance Armstrong, I am without question a TDF junkie.  From time to time, when I don't jump up between segments to hastily fold laundry or unload the dishwasher, I do intently watch television commercials with the goal of learning more and improving my craft.  This past weekend as le Tour began, I immediately noticed an ad illustrating crippling ignorance of musicians and their craft.  In some feeble attempt to demonstrate the concept of "unfriendly", a front desk attendant at a hotel whips out a violin and begins to play.  Not only is the attendant not using his fingers upon the fingerboard, but he's holding the instrument on the wrong side, bow in the incorrect hand. 

Please, ad folks, as a professional musician I implore you to hire actors who know how to use the instrument you've written into your savvy spots.  Or at least take a few moments to provide genuine instruction to the person you've hired.  It's not so hard to learn to fake it.  I did so.


4 comments:

Tyler said...

Wow... I don't even play violin and I can recognize that is the incorrect method just due to the many times I've seen it played properly...

They really should have given him a 2 minute crash course.

Bruce Hembd said...

I am a horn player and occasionally substitute teach strings classes. In 15 minutes this guy could have been told how to hold the instrument correctly. TERRIBLE!

ARGH -- this is a huge pet peeve of mine whenever I watch movies or TV!

Amelia said...

LOL... he needs a cereal box and a guitar hero guitar!!! You did a fabulous job with our impromptu lesson via skype! :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, don't u think this blog is a bit self-indulgent ... so much naval-gazing ... time to be an adult ...