7.03.2009

Disappointment: the Name of the Game

It's true. Disappointment is the name of the game when it comes to "the industry". It's acquiring the finesse to master disappointment that can be challenging. Most of the time, I am relatively unflappable. I understand my most elemental role as a talent is to go, audition and leave. I give my best performance each time and depart with no expectations that I will be called back or that I will get the role/part/character/gig/job. However, there are times when it is difficult to resist the infiltration of disappointment into life. These past two days have showcased excellent examples of this.

Unexpectedly, I met a very interesting individual who seemed to be friendly, professional and well-connected within entertainment, offering to introduce me to people who might be able to provide me guidance and insight. A happy circumstance? Serendipity? Too good to be true? It seems the latter may be the case. We arranged a business dinner at which details of the introductions were to be discussed. I went, prepared to discuss my experience and present the career goals I have as well as the current challenges I know I face. Unfortunately, the dinner turned out to be a very long-winded discussion about nothing of interest to me and a true waste of my time. I believe this contact was well-intentioned but not as serious or focused as I am, and perhaps not as forthright, either. Will I still get to meet these potentially career-changing contacts? I don't know and, frankly, I don't care. The situation was very disappointing and it reminded me how very few people in this world are as good as one's word.

Likewise, a potentially great opportunity to work on upcoming feature film Furry Vengeance fell into my lap. Or at least my email inbox. The project was seeking talent with very specific skills sets--skills sets which I have and with which I have years' worth of experience on a professional level. Of course, I contacted the casting director straight away with a polite email, my resume and headshot, indicating I thought I would be great for the role given my qualifications and that I would be willing to provide any additional information desired. Have I received a response? No. Did I expect to receive a response? It is rare that I ever expect a reply, but in this case I did, knowing I fill well the requirements of the role. Again, disappointment. I'm not ruling out receipt of a response, but I'll no longer be dispirited that I haven't yet got one.

Disappointment.
Dismay.
Dissatisfaction.
Disenchantment.
Disillusionment.

All words illustrating the arbitrary nature of an entirely ersatz trade.

1 comment:

David August said...

Right there with you. As I tweeted earlier this week: sometimes you have to let go, have faith, and... be lucky.