4.15.2009

Finding a Vehicle

I need a vehicle--a vehicle for my talents.  I'm realizing this more and more.  I know who I am and what I want and what I like and where my strengths lie, and I am grateful for the many opportunities that have come my way to date, but I need the right vehicle for my talents.   

Where are you vehicle?  I'm ready and waiting for you.

In many cases it is the vehicle that has propelled a relatively or completely unknown artist into a promising career.  Look at Sylvester Stallone in Rocky, Kevin Costner in Bull Durham, Orlando Bloom in The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Robert Duvall in To Kill a Mockingbird, or Daniel Radcliffe in David Copperfield.  It's that break-out opportunity that all artists desire and which best showcases the burgeoning skills of the talent in question.  

I have some thoughts on what this vehicle could be for me:

  • a role on Masterpiece Theatre (I've come quite close to doing stand-in work!)
  • a role on Mystery!
  • a project produced by the Sundance Channel.  
  • a supporting role in an indie or studio-backed feature film
  • a major role in an indie or studio-backed feature film (It can't hurt to wish, right?)
  • a supporting or major role in a studio-backed movie-musical
  • a role in a television drama

I could devise my own vehicle, of course.  What might it be?  A CD?  A short film?  A series?  A combination of these?  Something else entirely?  I don't know.  I feel there is an idea--an inkling--forming in my brain, waiting for the right opportunity to jump out and make itself known.  Until that time, I'll continue to look favorably on those smaller stepping stones that come my way.

2 comments:

Chris Foley said...

I'm working with several singers who are asking nearly identical questions. Are the arts really a zero sum game? Or can talented singers and actors expand the scope of the profession while promoting themselves in new and exciting ways?

Mels said...

Please don't compare yourself to Orlando Bloom. He is so pretty, and then he opens his mouth and ruins everything.