1.09.2009

Audition Transition

As you may have seen, I recently had a technical discovery which has inspired me as of late to pursue auditions of the singing persuasion with a renewed vim.  So, despite my un-HIP-ness, I've been sending out packets and soliciting time slots for upcoming auditions with a variety of entities. 

This doesn't mean I'm not scared or nervous or concerned in an audition.  What I've yet to admit (until now) is that I'm a relative newcomer to the audition scene.  You see, it wasn't until college that I really had to audition for anything.  Prior to my undergraduate studies--as ludicrous as it sounds--performances just came to me.  People who knew me just knew I could sing, act and dance and simply asked me to be in shows and productions.  Even that first public performance--I didn't ask to be in the show.  I was just "put" in it. 

My first major audition was part of my application to undergraduate school.  And, as ridiculous as it may seem, it didn't occur to me that I would have to audition to get in!  I simply thought I had to complete all the requisite paperwork and--poof!  I would be in music school.  At the University of Texas I actually missed all of the scheduled audition dates the year I applied--all six of them.  However, there were so many applicants that year that a seventh audition date was added in late May or early June and I attended that one.  That particular audition called for two arias, which was fine with me because I only knew two: "Care Selve, Ombre Beate" from Handel's opera Atalanta; and "Danza, Danza, Fanciulla Gentile" by Francesco Durante

Music auditions don't typically mimic normal performance environs.  They're often held in non-performance spaces, with an assortment of individuals sitting about doing a variety of things, including: checking email; eating a sandwich; grading papers; nodding off; and the like.  (Yes.  I have seen all of these things done in auditions by adjudicators.)  And, frequently, the skill of the accompanist varies from poor to brilliant.  (There have been times when I pined for the latter.)  Essentially, one must be simultaneously flexible, confident and outstanding.

I want to be hired for my artistic contributions, forethought, insight and personality. But, for now, I think I need to focus on becoming more consistent in this form of auditioning.  I have not yet received responses from my solicitations, but it has only been a few weeks.  I'm willing to wait.

2 comments:

'Whalehead' King said...

Vim and elan are the keys to success. You mix both with a dash of je ne sais quoi. All that and persistance: you pack a grand slam. You are hip in my book for what it is worth. Best wishes for a happy and prosperous New Year.

You don't live in the Dot, but this Dorchesterite is rooting for you. Cheerio! Chin-chin! And the best of health and success to come!

With a handshake,
WK

Alecia said...

Thanks, WK! I appreciate the support, the kudos, the excellent vocab usage and I look forward to my next visit to the Dot. :)