9.20.2008

Analogy

Today was a curious study in music and life.

This morning, I celebrated a life-to-be and one of my dearest friends. She's someone with whom I've sung and performed professionally, and with whom I share much. Her baby shower was a lovely fusion of musicians and laughter and gifts and friends and food, filled with memories of events that were and conversations of those special moments to be. On my way there I was serenaded by a homeless man who wanted to sing just for me. I obliged him.


This evening, I celebrated a wonderful life-that-was: that of my voice teacher Helen Hodam. A memorial concert and reception were given in her honor at New England Conservatory featuring several of her former students. I was not one of them. Again, it was a lovely fusion of musicians and laughter and gifts and friends and food, filled with conversation and memories of events that were. I cannot deny there were some tears shed, as well. The concert (given in her preferred recital hall, and appropriately so.) was concluded by the playing of one of her own recordings. The song was Loch Lomond and was recorded in 1947 when she was 33 or 34 years old. (She was an old woman when I began my studies with her, you see.) Despite the scratchy static that was part of the record, her tone was clear, her diction crisp and her line musical, as she wanted that of all her students to be.


I am proud to be a part of these two distinctly musical lives.

No comments: