7.09.2008

What I want

Henry David Thoreau wrote, "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." Sometimes, it is helpful to be reminded of this stronghold structure and its needs.

My castles (or at least a few of them):
narrate an episode of Nova
host a show on PBS
work on Mystery! or Masterpiece
work on indie feature films with creative and/or content-heavy screenplays
work on feature films, especially those with an historical bent
sing in high-quality revivals of classic musicals composed by Rodgers, Hammerstein, Hart, the Gershwins and others

My foundations:
good start to a resume
good casting director connections
good start to a web site
attractive headshots that look like me (always important!)
solid training foundation
name recognition in certain circles
in-demand radio voice

Contacts to make (or at least a few of them):
BBC
BBC Four
CanalPlus
WGBH
IMG
William Morris
feature film directors

(In support of myself and my best efforts, I would like to say that I have already made preliminary forays into the worlds of WGBH and the BBC.  However, to date, I have received no replies.  But, I am certainly not beyond accepting assistance in the opening of doors...)

Some past productions I dream of being in:
Twilight Zone
M*A*S*H
Star Trek: TNG (Yes, really folks.  I'm kind of nerdy.)
Almost anything produced and directed by Alfred Hitchcock
anything starring Jeremy Brett
anything starring Gene Kelly
old Hollywood musical films

I have a notecard on my bulletin board that states, "Define and claim the life that you want, and the Universe will provide it for you."  Really?  Hmm.  There are some days when I truly believe this is possible and on others it seems like one of so many psychosomatic palliatives--only there as a mental crutch to help one continue the plod.  It's on these latter days that one cold, hard, capitalistic fact seems so much more accurate: all it takes is money.

1 comment:

Michael said...

You, a NERD?!? NOOOOOOO.... =P

As a fellow walker of this earth making his way to the heavens, I must say that you've got your head in the right place... the clouds.

Can I mix any more metaphors? Bottom line, keep fighting the good fight. We'll be castellans in no time!