5.18.2008

New leaves

It's Sunday, it's sunny (currently, but rain forecast for later) and spring has clearly arrived. It's time for me to remain despondent no more. I've donned my positive outlook hat and I'm ready to resume practicing, singing, rehearsing, reading and auditioning.

My new goal: become more enterprising. It has been suggested that I find some cute boy somewhere and make a provocative tape. Sorry, SteveR. That's a no-go, I think. While it was a great turn for Pam and Tommy, and Paris and what's-his-name, I don't really think that's the best vehicle for me. During the past several months, it has been suggested more than once by friends, colleagues and coaches that I "do" Masterpiece Theatre. Frankly, I'd love to. People seem to think I have a good look, useful skills and a natural delivery that would cater to a Masterpiece or Mystery! teleplay, and I happen to agree with them. I've already taken steps to contact WGBH. But I'm also open to other suggestions and avenues; does anyone have any contacts at PBS? The BBC? Canal+ or BBC Four?

I also have a meeting set up with a good friend of mine who is a composer of operas and art songs. I'm thinking of asking him to write some new pieces to be premiered in recital in the autumn. Keeping new music at the forefront is a good means of preserving a career for singers. Several months ago I presented the Boston and New England premieres of The Poetry of Donald Rumsfeld as set by composer Bryant Kong. There is really no reason why I cannot do more. Does anyone have any compositions they'd like for me to consider?

A second goal: smile more. I think people assume I'm an unhappy person because I'm not a smiley person. In fact, I am content with my life, but I am also focused and driven, and I think these aspects of my serious nature employ themselves in a non-smiling facade.

Certainly, there will be doldrums upon the vast ocean that is the entertainment industry. I must remind myself that sometime, somewhere, the "Alecia niche" will make itself known and I will be able to augment my professional auditionee status. At least now I can say I will be more well-prepared for the next lull.

2 comments:

Michael said...

Just so happens I'll be sequestering myself between gigs in Vail, CO, in early August, in order to make some serious headway on an opera I'm composing. More info later, but maybe a particular smiling redhead would be a perfect fit for an aria or two...

Alecia said...

I think that would not be a bad idea...