5.07.2008

FYI

Yesterday, when I took the call for today's audition, I was told to dress casually and that there were no lines--only "facial expressions". Hmm. Facial expressions? Like mime, perhaps? I wasn't sure what to make of this, but I did go home and practice various actions and their associated expressions in the bathroom mirror. You know, like: happy; pained; shocked; sly; good surprise.

When I arrived at the CD's office today, there were already several folks in the waiting area. Some of them were friends of mine, some of them were new to me. After signing in and completing my obligatory size card, I took a seat. (No headshot and no resume today.) The brand-new assistant took my photo with a fifteen-flash camera--they do that every time to everyone. In my momentary blindness, I overheard one of the girls say to her friend that they were only asking questions "like, what kind of music and stuff you like." Ah. Personal likes. Okay. Since I knew this spot would be for an entertainment media company, I quickly browsed through my iPod to review my musical preferences, not that I could commit all 700+ artists to memory in five minutes, but I could try. It's always good to bone up on yourself before a "personal likes" audition. Sometimes, your brain can leave you senseless at the most inopportune moments. I saw this happen ALL THE TIME while working at Walt Disney World. (But that's a story for another post.)

I was called into the audition room, which I know very well by now. I was panned by the camera (not panned by a critic) and asked my name. Then, "Where are you from?". I explained that I'm from Texas originally, but that I now spend much of my time in Boston. Then, "What's your favorite music?" I didn't spring straight to genres, which might have been wiser: opera, oratorio, art song, alternative, pop, jazz. Instead, I started listing groups and bands: Muse; The Killers; Vega4; Voxtrot. Then I wised up, realizing that those are all in one genre and I couldn't afford to be viewed as a one-genre girl. So, I branched out to bluegrass and Americana: Nickel Creek ("which is no longer a group," I noted); The Punch Brothers ("which was formed by Chris Thile," I noted); Crooked Still (friends of mine). At that point, I was cut off.

"Okay, thanks! That's all we need."

"Really?" I queried.

"Yep! I love my job today!"

And I left the room. Oh, and I received several compliments on my pants. Perhaps I'll get a callback just for my pants. Who knows?

No comments: