4.11.2008

Soliciting your Advice

Dear professional auditionee readers:

I write to you openly to solicit your advice and input on what seems to be an ever-more-present issue in my performance life--my look. Truly, I tell you my look seems to be a mounting hurdle to any success I may have in the entertainment industry. Here are a few examples:

  • AmRep invited me to audition for a new show they are producing. In their response to my audition, they noted that, while my singing was lovely, my look was wrong for the show. (As an aside, I'd like to say I think I do resemble Simonetta Vespucci, after whom the character was modeled.)

  • I auditioned for a WGBH-produced movie about the life of Lousia May Alcott. While I received high praise from all parties regarding my audition, my look and, in particular, my hair color was identified as wrong for the part of May. The CD called me to apologize and explain that the producers were planning to show age progression using different actresses. I guess wigs were not part of the plan.

  • A team producing a short film invited me to audition for their project, and I found the role of Alicia most interesting. I did much research to develop the character and I really fell in love with her. After three excellent auditions, I received a voicemail stating, "We thought you were perfect for the part, Alecia. But, we found someone a little more perfect. So, sorry, we're not going to cast you." What was the matter? I was too young-looking.
Most recently (today!) I received this response to an industrial video audition I did:
"Unfortunately, [the client] thought that your look and performance was too close to another [talent] that we use. You did a wonderful job in your audition. May I keep you in mind for future projects?"
It's great they want to keep me in mind for future projects. However, this job in particular had the potential of being multiple consecutive days of work. And I really loved the content and purpose of the project. How often can one say that?!

So, in a practical act possibly driven by desperation, I seek your suggestions on how to improve my look and, thereby, improve my chances at getting work. Such suggestions could include:
  • Get a nose job.
  • Get a tan.
  • Move to a country where you are different.
  • Tattoo your face.
  • Cut your hair.
  • Shave your head.
  • Dye your hair a different color.
  • Undergo limb lengthening to become taller.
  • Cut off one arm.
I want to hear from you! I want to hear from your friends! No suggestion is too outrageous and I will consider every one. I look forward to reading your comments.


Sincerely,

Alecia

4 comments:

SteveR said...

Why don't you find a young man to date and stir up controversy with a "Private Tape".

Diana said...

I say "change nothing!" You are beautiful just the way you are. :o)

Michael said...

I know another redhead with whom we went to music school. Felicia Day. She also has a distinctive look, some would even say the wrong look for the industry. However, she has carved out a living, a following, and now writes and stars in an award-winning online series, The Guild. She's been on many commercials, including the latest Cheetos commercial, and was in Buffy the Vampire Slayer for its last season.

My outrageous advice: make a series based on your auditioning. You've already got a sizable chunk of source material right here in your blog! Spice it up a bit, emphasize the humor and irony and BAM... success. Need you see sample scripts? There is a superficial comparison that can be made to the show 'Extras,' but I think the way in which it would stand out is that it isn't always about the parts you land, but the hilarity/tragedy of the auditions.

On another note, you remain one of the most beautiful people I know, and I really don't want to see you changing yourself. And if you don't see it, then I wish you could look at yourself from another's eyes, that you might find YOUR breath catching, even on simple blog bio pics! (Well, it may not give you hiccups, but I guarantee you wouldn't want to change a thing!)

Andy said...

I totally support the comparison to Felicia Day, although you have your own special qualities that make you awesome. If others don't have a part that's right for you than create one for yourself.

If that isn't an option, then my suggestion is to not change a thing. From what I have seen, you are obviously intelligent, extremely creative and naturally funny. Keep looking for that project that will turn you into a 10 year "overnight" success.