4.26.2008

The Heavens are Telling...

...me that tomorrow's performance will be good.

Tomorrow, I'll be singing in the trio of "The Heavens are Telling" from Haydn's The Creation as part of the service at Old South Church. I've got a fine tenor and a great baritone as partners in crime. I'm using music that has been loaned to me, so I spent a few minutes Friday evening repairing it.

See? Ripping in a variety of ways.
And can you see how yellow it is? It's very old.


While it was printed in the U.S.A. (which makes me very happy)...


...it's so old it only cost $0.15 to purchase this segment!
There isn't even a date on it.
I might even venture to say it was published in 1798, the year the oratorio came out.
However, I don't think America was really that with it, yet.
(And, no, I don't know what that is written there.
It's something that begins with a "T". "Tomorrow", maybe?)

And, the translation's not the greatest, either. It appears to be English translated from German translated from English. Sprichst du what?

It is a Schirmer score, though. They're notorious for being, well, not the greatest.

Hopefully we'll be better than great tomorrow. If there's a recording, I may post it here. Toi, toi, toi!

No comments: