2.16.2008

Time spent with Barbarians

This morning I spent two hours with a cool group of guys at the barbarian group recording voiceover for a new, upcoming campaign for Adobe. I'd never met these guys before, nor had I been to their offices, so it was an experience, as it is with many ad groups.

I arrived about 15 minutes early to make time for any copy I needed to review. I walked up the three flights of stairs to their nondescript door and followed the posted instructions: Knock. A still-yet-coat-wearing guy opened the door and admitted me, saying, "Hey." I said, "Hi, I'm Alecia." He inquired why I had come. I thought he might know I had an 11 AM session per the previous day's email message, but perhaps not. So, I explained. He responded, "Oh, well, I just got here and I'm the first one here. If you wanna take a seat, the other guys'll be here soon". I still didn't know his name. So, I made myself comfy with a copy of Communication Arts and waited patiently.

At one point, Doug, one of my contacts, arrived. He came through the door greeting me "Hi" and disappeared into the next room. (I didn't yet know this was Doug.) About fifteen minutes later, he reappeared introducing himself ("Doug") and presented me with some copy. He thoughtfully and thoroughly explained the project concept and how they see this particular character. He gave me a few minutes alone to review the copy while we waited for his counterpart to arrive.

Eventually, we all moved into their new recording space. (I was the inaugural artist.) In this former men's room we got down to business, laying down several tracks of the copy, with breaks for guidance, suggestion, inquiry and conversation. At their request I also created some--what I would call--ambient noises. (If this project comes out, I'll post a link to its location and then you'll understand this comment. I promise.)

This was one of the most enjoyable recording sessions I've had in a long time. The guys were very laid back, accommodating, professional, and knowledgeable in what they wanted of me. And, if it is well-received by the higher-ups in power, then it could result in more sessions for me. Nice! These are really the kinds of jobs I'd like more of. (Yes, Mom. I know I ended that sentence with a preposition. Sorry.)

2 comments:

Sean Fitzroy said...

John Hamilton, my old student, is a Barbarian now. I heard he might be working on that Adobe campaign. Glad to hear it went well. Are you doing the 48 Hour Film Project again this year?

-Sean

Alecia said...

Hi, Sean. Indeed, I did meet John. He's quite talented, as are the other Barbarians. I am planning to participate in the 48 Hour Film Project, too. Thanks!