2.18.2008

Psalm for a Psalmist

Yesterday, in my position as one of the soprano soloists at Boston's Old South Church, I performed Herbert Howells' setting of Walter de la Mare's "King David" as part of the Sunday service. It's a very lush arrangement for voice and piano punctuated by a lyrical melodic line and a poignant story.

My nerves always become agitated before any performance, I think in part due to my desire to do my best. If at any point I fail to become excited or nervous, that would be my signal to cease performing.

The performance itself went well--much due in part to Harry Lyn Huff at the piano--and was well-received with kind compliments from many individuals, as well as a thoughtful note from one of the clergy. I hope that it contributed to the prayerful contemplation of the lenten season for the congregation.

No comments: