2.28.2008

I've won an Oscar®!

Okay, perhaps I didn't win an Oscar®, but I did have the chance to hold one and have my picture taken! Here's the low-down:

This past Sunday evening, I attended Oscar Night America in support of the Ellie Fund's "Care for the Caregiver" program. It's a wonderful black-tie evening supporting a great purpose, and people have the chance to dress up (which is always fun), mingle and enjoy the Academy Awards ceremony on about 20 different screens. This year's venue of choice was the Hard Rock Cafe (the new location), which donated the space, the labor, the food and nearly all the alcohol served. Guests were greeted with a red carpet welcome. An amazing spread of items serviced the silent auction, including amazing sports and entertainment memorabilia. (A signed photo of Miley Cyrus, anyone? Anyone?) There was also a veritable variety of crudités, antipasti, and delicious passed hors d'oeuvres, followed by a dainty meal and tasty desserts. I didn't just eat, though. There was great company, too!

I saw my good friend Trudi Goodman, who played the unpalatable Roberta Trett in GONE BABY GONE. I met Bob Wahlberg (yes, related to Mark Wahlberg) and chatted with Miss Massachusetts 2008, Jacqueline Bruno. I spent a good portion of the evening with friends Andrea and Roy, though, catching up.

One of the highlights of the evening was having my picture taken with a real Oscar® statuette. Ernest Thompson (whom I met at last month's Imagine Imaginnaires Awards event) lent for the evening the Oscar® he was awarded for the adaptation of his own play, On Golden Pond, for the movie by the same name so that people could have their photo taken with it. The cost ($10) was all donated to the Ellie Fund. Want to see?

Yes, it really is much heavier than one expects. If I were to ever receive one, I could probably use it for a defensive weapon. (Did you find the typo? I did.)

3 comments:

Mels said...

I'd buy that issue. Although I wouldn't have to since I have a subscription... :-)

Diana said...

You'll have a real one before you know it.

Brad said...

There's a statue in the picture?