6.17.2007

I'm Read-y!

Recently, I had the opportunity to record voice over copy for health insurance firm Blue Cross Blue Shield. Pleasantly, the copy was quite good. For those of you who don't do voice over, sometimes the quality of the copy can be a toss-up. In many cases, the talent doesn't receive the copy (that is, the stuff one has to read into the mic) until showing up at the studio to record. And, when there's poorly-written copy, it just makes it that much harder to deliver a great read and do what the client wants. (And, yes, many times, the client is in the room along with the engineer.) Anyway, I was quite pleased to get into the booth and have good copy in my hand. These were a series of 15-second radio spots targeting Gen Y-ers, which is one demographic in which I specialize, and the spots were quite funny, which only made the read easier. Overall, I think the client was pleased with each take and I'd like to think they'll call me again sometime. (Hint-hint.) I have to say, though, that in this market, it can be difficult to actually solicit work.

Once, when living in a different market, I had a great voice over agent who enabled me to audition for and subsequently win more voice over jobs than I've been getting lately. However, voice over agents haven't seem to have caught on as an industry here. So, essentially, every voice over artist in the area has to go freelance. While I've got good demos, and good relationships with area studios, I think I may have to modify my demos so that each showcases a specific attribute or skill--those things which my former agent was aware of, but which my demos don't necessarily illustrate.

If there's anyone out there who is an established voice over artist in a non-agency market, I'm seeking a mentor.

No comments: