6.13.2007

Professional Diver

About three weeks ago I got a phone call saying I had been cast in the new Katherine Heigl/James Marsden flick 27 Dresses. Wow! True, I had been invited to audition about seven weeks ago, but I had not expected to actually hear from them. This past weekend, I drove to Rhode Island for the afternoon shoot. I got to play the "Scuba Bride". What does this mean? Well, the premise of the movie is that Katherine Heigl's character, Jane, is a bridesmaid in 27 different types of weddings and one of them is an underwater, scuba wedding. Do I know how to scuba? No. I am not certified to scuba. In fact, as I am slightly bathophobic, I don't know if I would ever want to scuba. Anyway, actual, certified divers did the underwater bit; I just got to appear on land in an absolutely outrageous outfit. It was one of many outrageous outfits, actually. (I've got a photo I could show you, but we were *explicitly* instructed not to disseminate images, so I'm not going to risk it. You'll just have to look for me once the movie comes out.)

This was a huge scene with 10 main characters, two supporting characters, five featured characters, and about 150 extras. So, needless to say, it took quite a bit of time to get everyone ready. Hair and make up took about an hour per character, so there was a veritable army of artists prepping every character that would have any valuable screen time--including me! More importantly, there was quite a bit of time spent sitting around waiting, so I had come prepared with my trusty iPod in tow.

When called by a PA, we hoofed it about two blocks through sand in order to arrive at our beachside set. It was perfect--one of those idyllic Hollywood-ized sets with the Atlantic Ocean in the background. The set designer did a fantastic job. After another hour of waiting in near-silence while all the closeups were shot, we were called in by director Anne Fletcher for the medium and wide shots. About fifteen takes later, and after the sun was nearly gone and we were oceanside popsicles, we were wrapped. I'd love to tell you more, but I think the movie should hold its own and really tell the tale. So, when it comes out, go see it!

No comments: